January 8, 2015
This is the second in Peter May‘s Lewis Trilogy, following up shortly after the end of The Blackhouse. Finn MacLeod is divorced, leaving the Police force and moving his life back to his birthplace on the Isle of Lewis with plans restore his parents croft house. Meanwhile the well preserved body of a murder victim is found in a peat bog and DNA test show him to be related to Tormond MacDonald the father of Finn’s childhood sweetheart Marsaili. However, Tormond now an elderly man suffering from dementia – has always claimed to be an only child.
The story unfolds in multiple ways through the inner thoughts of Tormond trapped in his dementia not knowing what is going on when he is in a nursing home but thinks he is a young man. Memories and flashbacks to his childhood in a nightmare of orphanages and servitude, and his own childhood sweetheart. Meanwhile Finn is trying to put the pieces together to discover who the body in the bog is and due to that who Tormond really is.
I did find the middle part of this book a little slow but towards the end the momentum really built up again to an ending that was both dramatic and thrilling. This would make a great little TV mini series, and I look forward to reading the last in the trilogy.
January 3, 2015
Previously: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013. Now for the summary of my blog posts for 2014 (there weren’t many)… as ever please note this is only to help me remember things I really don’t know why anyone else would be interested:
Gigs, Events & Theater
- May: Wicked
- Nov: Glasgow City Council Civic Reception for St Silas 150 year anniversary.
BOOKS read this year….
- June: Lee Child “Never Go Back”
- that appears to be it! In my defense I have started a few and decided they weren’t worth the effort and I currently have three on the go but still only one book completed and blogged about all year is shameful! Must do better next year!
- March: Crieff Hydro
- May: Seahouses, Northumberland
- Aug: Isle of Lewis
- Nov: Crieff Hydro
- April: Son turned 1, walks, had chicken pox, is great fun!
- July: Commonwealth Games were in Glasgow
- July: 1 Year of Cycling to Work
- Sept: Got a new bike through cycle to work scheme
- Sept: Started working condensed 4 day week to have Monday’s with Lewis
- Nov: Civic Reception and other celebrations for St Silas 150 year anniversary.
- 2009 – 23 books – 6 Movies – 4 gigs/events
- 2010 – 33 books – 13 Movies – 10 gigs/events – 6 meals – 4 holidays
- 2011 – 18 books – 2 Movies – 3 gigs/events – 1 meals – 3 holidays
- 2012 – 16 books – 7 Movies – 3 gigs/events – 3 meals – 4 holidays
- 2013 – 8 books – 2 Movies – 0 gigs/events – 1 meals – 2 holidays – 1 Son
- 2014 – 1 books – 3 Movies – 2 gigs/events – 0 meals – 4 holidays – 1 Son